Your Sleep Study Experience
Step 1: Learn
About Sleep Apnea
- Sleep apnea is a serious disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.
- Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes and can occur hundreds of times during the night. This results in poor oxygen to the brain and the rest of the body.
- Sleep apnea often goes undiagnosed during routine office visits.
Effects of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can be life-threatening. Untreated sleep apnea puts you at higher risk for serious health problems, such as:
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
Step 2: Prepare for Your Sleep Study
What to Bring
What Not to Bring
What to Avoid
Step 3: Arrive at Your Sleep Study
Please arrive at 9:00 pm.
We will have you out by 6:00 am.
What to Expect
- Upon arriving, you will be greeted by our technologist who will show you to your room. You will be able to relax and watch TV until he/she is ready for setup.
- You will have chest and abdominal belts as well as several leads placed on your scalp, face, neck and legs applied by a paste. The paste will wash off with soap and water. We do not have showers at the lab so please allow time to go home and shower before returning to work.
- If you need to use the restroom during the night, notify the technologist and they will assist you with disconnecting equipment.
- Results typically take 7-10 business days at which point our patient coordinator will contact you to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Patel. Please contact our office if you do not hear from us.
The integrated sleep model begins with a patient visit to the sleep specialist, who will determine the most appropriate test for that individual. After the test, the sleep specialist reviews the results and consults with the patient to determine the best form of treatment such as CPAP, a dental appliance, surgery, or other more conservative treatments.
Our established relationships and direct access to Durable Medical Equipment (such as CPAP) close the treatment loop, creating a more seamless patient management process, which keeps the sleep specialist at its center with the patient. Patients are monitored for two years to ensure not only compliance but better sleep health and overall wellness. We continually evaluate patient outcomes, making treatment plan adjustments as necessary.
Tracking the patient is very important–it’s not just about how much they use their CPAP. It’s about whether they’re actually getting better and if the treatment plan is preventing more serious health issues such as a stroke, heart attack, or developing diabetes.
Our Sleep Center
Our sleep center is designed with patient comfort in mind. Our rooms include queen-sized beds, flat-screen TVs with cable, DVD players and much more. We also carry the latest technology in sleep diagnostic testing.
Reschedule / Cancelations
Kindly notify us in four business days prior to your scheduled appointment if you need to reschedule or cancel. Appointments missed without four business days notification will be charged $200.
We will verify your insurance and notify you prior to your study if we have any issues.
If you have more questions about your sleep study, please Contact Us Here or Call Us at (301) 441-3122